31 May 2009

Bandit


At 4.30 this afternoon, my dear, sweet, old man Bandit went to the place dogs go to await their humans…

Words cannot express the empty spot that is in my heart. I expect it will remain for a long, long time.

You see, Bandit was one of them. The special dog, the heart dog, the once in a lifetime dog. He introduced me to the border collie, and bade me worship in their temple. Bandit taught me what it was to have a relationship with another living thing where you do not have to speak to be understood. He taught me about behaviour, nature and nurture, and that despite years of neglect (or maybe because of them), a dog can be special. There will never be another like him.

Bandit changed my life. Bandit brought me to rescue. I did not know what rescue was until I adopted him from a rescuer who inspired me to do what I do today. Without Bandit, there would be no MABCR. Without Bandit, I would not know many of you who I send this to today, and I would not have many, many of the people in my life that I call friends.

My house is empty. I wonder if Missy understands that her old man has gone. Alec had already been trying to fill Bandit’s shoes, sadly, he is not very good at it. He loves to correct the ‘bad’ dogs, Bandit only ever needed to be there and the others respected him. A true leader.

The past few years have been hard on Bandit. He was a proud old man and did not appreciate the decline of the years. He hated being old, more than I hated seeing him old. He hated being slower, stiff, and was embarrassed by his sometime inability to go up or down, or traverse the stairs, or the occasional fall that happened more and more frequently as his hips declined and his eyesight failed him. I am sad that he is gone, but not sad to see him go. Wherever he is now, he is the regal and handsome young dog that was my most devoted friend.

Bandit my friend, we had a good ride.

Sarah

Sarah Ruckelshaus
Victory Farm
Chestertown Maryland USA

No comments: